You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Don't know what you got 'til it's gone

Hello my faithful FOUR followers.  (Please, help me increase that number!  Scroll down the page til you see the little gray box that says "Follow" and click on it.  If you have an e-mail address through one of the providers listed click accordingly.  If not, click the other link and enter your e-mail address.  You're not signing up for anything other than updates of when I create a new post!  Do it cuz you love me! :)

This post is to update on everything in my life as I'm at T-minus five days and counting!!!

Last week was my last of work and it was super busy!  So much for that whole "short-timer" thing everyone kept talkin' to me about.  It was also my last week of the volunteer work I'd  done for the past 18 months.  Many of my customers at work were very sweet saying they'll miss me, wishing me the best and offering kind thoughts and prayers.  What truly amazed me were the gifts I was given.  One department, CAPE (Community Assesment, Evaluation and Planning), got together and gave me a $77 gift card to Marshall's.  Another girl from PT (Pina) gave me a 'scapalario', which she told me it's blessed and it brings protection.  I've tried to Google it, but no luck finding anything on it.  It was very sweet though!  There were many cards, flowers and stationary sets.  So, if any of my old customers have found your way here and are reading (I hope you are for all the cards I gave out!), thank you so much!  I'll miss you all and hope the new girl gives you just as much attitude as I always did! ;)  Thursday I also had the last lunch with the Marketing/Fund Development girls from where I volunteered.  They gave me such an amazing collection of goodies, it was better than my b-day AND Christmas!  Everything was so well thought out, from books to take on the plane, to clothes that will be Honduras appropriate, to a gift card for a local thrift store.  They also gave me a Certificate of Appreciation for the 658 hours of volunteer work I've done.  (That was my free time for the past 18 months!)  So Michelle, Christine and Monica - thanks so  much!!
 
All the goodies I got from customers and MFD girls!
Thursday night I got to see Jeff Dunham with my dad and he was hilarious of course!  Friday after I got more going away goodies from my other volunteer position, I took off to Napa for one last hurrah with "The Girls".  Stephenie planned a brilliant weekend for us with dinner at Rutherford Grill, wine tasting tour - with a driver!, trying a new restaurant Farmstead and of course our usual lounge in pj's DVD watching.  Of course I had breakfast at the fantastic Gilwood's!  The weather in Napa Valley was amazing and I got to see almost all the people at the old stomping grounds that I would have liked to.

The girls outside Peju

After I reluctantly pulled myself away from the Napa Valley, I headed home via The City, San Fran.  I met up with my dad and step-mom for an uber-touristy day of Alcatraz and Pier 39.  More great weather and super fun!
With my dad on Alcatraz

Tuesday and today I've been shopping - using those gift cards I got!  Got 10 shirts at the thrift store and only used half the $40.  Used all the Marshall's card and got 3 pairs of jeans.  Stopped in and got my mom power of attorney for finances.  (Basically, she will have to file my taxes for me while I'm gone.  Thanks mom!)  Tomorrow I've got to do some last minute Wal-Mart run and a few other random errands, do massive quantities of laundry and start the greatest task of packing.  Then all the going away festivities and flying out Monday.

So, everyone wants to know if I'm excited or nervous.  Those are the biggest.  All I can say is I suppose so.  I never get any nerves, good or bad, until I'm on the plane.  It's usually the first moment you get to stop and think about what's going on.  Your lists are done, your good-byes are said, you've obviously made it to the airport on time, past security and now it's just you and a couple hundred strangers.  Basically, I'm holding together because I've got so much to do.  Monday morning will be a different story.

Well, I will try to post again just before I leave, but as you can tell I'm nothing but long-winded and these postings generally take me a little over an hour.  Remember, FOLLOW, FOLLOW, FOLLOW!  I'm writing this for YOU, not myself!  Thanks :)

Hasta la proxima vez...

2 comments:

  1. I have you on RSS feed. So there are some people out here reading. Good luck!! I can only imagine how you feel. I am the same way about not letting anything get to you until you get on the plane, then it hits. I am like that with vacations but in opposite, I can't relax b/c of all the stress of planning until I hit the plane, then I can finally enjoy all the hard work that it took to get to that point. Maybe that is how you should think about the PC. . .you worked so hard to get there that you should take time to just enjoy the moment! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know! But, what in the world is a RSS feed?? Just when I think I'm savvy on the 'net...

    So you're heading to Africa soon, if I read right?

    ReplyDelete