You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hoy es mi premir dia

I’m going to write this blog style even though it won’t get posted until who knows when. Basically, I feel I need to get it down because this is day 1 of about 820. Seems long when I say it like that.




This morning we were in Miami and had to be up and out of the hotel by 5:30AM. Our flight was at 10:15AM and we were about 5 min. from the airport. Crazy? I kinda thought so too, but with nearly 60 people that’s how the logistics go. It was not pleasant getting up so early as some of us had gone to our “Last Meal” as we liked to call it and enjoyed some Cheesecake Factory. By the time we got cabs back and repacked it was about 1AM.



Flight went well. There had been some concern about the Teguz airport and landing. I don’t get it. Perhaps we just had an amazing pilot. I did get a pic of the runway though and how it begins at the base of a mountain, so maybe that’s the deal. Getting through customs and our baggage was about the easiest of any country I’ve ever been to and on top of that the PC staff here in country were so on the ball, getting organized was not stressful at all. They had signs directing us as soon as we claimed our luggage, then again out in the main airport terminal. (PS – major props to the Teguz airport staff for double checking the baggage claim ticket to the ticket that’s actually on the luggage. Such security, I’ve never seen that either.)



Directly from the airport we went to our Training Center which was prob about half hour from Teguz. The country side is beautiful here…oh yah, and it’s HOT. I mean for Feb. No hotter than Modesto in July, but it’s FEBRUARY! Humidity isn’t that bad, but it’s more than I’m used to and it’s not even the rainy season yet. Bring it on Hondu…bring it on! (I’m pretty much already ok with the fact that I will be a consistent sticky, disgusting person and won’t do my hair again until May when we’re sworn in.) At the TC we went over what our host families living arrangements will be like. On the slide explaining which neighborhoods (aldeas) we would each be living in, it mentioned that eight of us would be living with families that had never hosted before. Guess whose name showed up on that list? Yep, yours truly! So after that, we were introduced to our host families and all taken home. My host mom is so nice! Her name is Merlin. From what I can tell she’s pretty much the cornerstone of the family. Mind you with myself here, there’s eight people in the house. There’s the husband, older son 23 and his wife, younger son, 19, older daughter 17 and baby daughter 11. The size of this house? Probably a little bigger than the garage and modified room at my mom’s house. Modest? Oh, yes. Is there indoor plumbing? No. Is there a shower? No. How’s the toilet? Um, can you say manual flush? As in pouring water in the bowl to flush. Believe me, I may be holding it most the time until I get to the training center. Tomorrow I take my first “bucket shower”. I’m thinking I should have shaved my head… I asked my host mother about “los bichos” (the bugs) and she told me they weren’t that bad. I’ve already seen two cockroaches and as I’m typing this in the dark there’s one that is attracted to the light of my screen. Not to mention, I was going to leave my windows cracked because it’s hot, but there’s a bug in between the screen and window. I will deal with him tomorrow. Rayito, el perrito, keeps barking outside, but I think I’m so exhausted I may actually be able to sleep. Oh yah, the roof is corrugated metal…can’t wait for the rains! Hmm, my aldea is furthest from the TC as well, so I have to be at the bus stop by 6:40 every morning. I have a feeling I will soon be a morning person. May as well, since there’s a 9PM curfew. Don’t think I’m complaining, just explaining! :)



My host mother made me an amazing dinner of beans, tortillas, cheese, plaintains with sauce and avocado. She likes that I’m not a picky eater. She’s going to teach me how to hand wash my clothes and make tortillas! Then after dinner and was cleaned up she asked me to go to church with them. They’re catholic. Mind you, I’ve never been t o a catholic anything besides one wedding. It was interesting. Long and I would definitely say a mix of catholic and evangelical practices, very upbeat singing/music and lots of it. The Adventist in me didn’t know what to do! My host family knows Adventists though and even knows where churches are here. Too far to get to sans car, but I’m glad to know they’re out there. Oh, and they love some coffee here! I’ve already had two glasses in one evening. Good thing caffeine doesn’t affect me! Oh and random side note. I believe it’s safe to say that while it’s only day 1, I’ve kicked my nail biting habit. Really?? Yes, hand washing and no running water don’t coincide well. So, while I’m not a germ-a-phobe in the US, I’m way smarter about it here, believe me! Oh and per PC rules, I have my own room, with a lock and extra perk for me -there’s a TV with cable! You’re thinking, small house eight people and I have my own room. Yah, I feel spoiled despite the huge differences between here and home. My room also just has a cement floor, no tile, no nada. Straight OG!



Sorry for randomness. Once again writing whilst exhausted and needing to sleep. At least you’re getting a blog post! Now, I see why people have a hard time keeping up with blogging. Writing one takes like an hour, there’s no Internet and we’re busy as all get out! From here on out, I make NO promises of posting. Just a heads up!



Hasta la proxima vez!

No comments:

Post a Comment