You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dia de la Cultura and Spring Break

OK part 2:

I broke it up just to give you a little reading break.  I realize that last one was a doozy, but you're still not entirely up to date and I know everyone wants to know my every move, so I will oblige.

First, I believe today has been 1 month since I bought my modem and therefore my 1 month of free unlimited usage is also up.  Expect, connectivity on my end to be even less. 

We are now in Semana Santa (Holy Week) here in mostly Catholic Honduras.  Most of the country has been shut down this whole week, but we just got today, Thursday and Friday off.  Today instead of morning Spanish classes we presented an American Culture day to our host families.  There was a teaching of the Electric Slide (to Lady Gaga), the teaching of dodgeball, cheesy American pick-up lines translated into Spanish, songs sung and more.  Guess what I did?  Yah, I sang in front of all those people.  A) I'm not a performer.  B)  I don't sing in public.  C)  I don't sing well.  D)  I sucked it up and sang with the two guys in my group who both played the guitar and sang as well, which sufficiently drowned me out...I have video proof! :)  We sang this song called Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show.  Look it up, pretty sweet song!  I will try to share this video with everyone once I get a decent connection speed and can upload a 3 min. video.  After all the presentations we had some great food.  The afternoon consisted of a US vs. Honduras soccer match.  However, the Honduran team was a legit team from a league with uniforms and the works.  The US team was hodge podge, with a few Hondurans thrown in for numbers.  I didn't play.  I still hate soccer.  I'm glad to report that the final score was only 4-2, obviously the Honduran team won.  Huge shout out to Carrie though.  There were 3 girls who played, it's a pretty big deal for women to play soccer with men, and Carrie was the only American man or woman to score a goal.  Way to get it for the girls Carrie!  (The other US goal was scored by a Honduran playing on the team.)

And by Spring Break I mean we have the rest of the week off so we get some free time to do what we went/soak up the culture here during Semana Santa.  Tomorrow I'm joining some of my counterparts to take a hike to a lake and we can swim, play some US football.  Should be fun!  We will be led by one guy's host family who knows the way, not like we're just settin' out on some trail because we heard there was a lake.  There's some more cultural stuff over the weekend for Holy Week, which should be cool.  I've seen how Spain does it, so now to see how it is here.  I'm actually pretty excited!

Anyway, I appreciate you all reading.  I realize some of this is a little boring, but I think these are the kind of things you want to hear about.  If you want to know anything else or have suggestions please comment.  I'm doing this writing for you...believe me this IS NOT how I journal!  Don't fret though, I have started two lists which I will eventually publish when they grow a little more.  They are:  "Things only heard in Honduras" and "You know you're acclimating to life in Honduras when..." Trust me, they'll be good!

Stay tuned for one more post where I'm gonna share some pix with you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment