You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ridin´ High

(Hey guys, I wrote this post for you on March 1st!)

We’ve only been here in Hondu for five days yet we’ve heard repeatedly that there will be highs and lows. For the most part we’ve been getting what I keep calling ‘debriefings’. None of the classes are really into the ‘meat ‘of what we’ll be learning, but more like outlines. We’ve made lots of lists: our expectations of our teachers, what we expect to do here, how to better incorporate with our host families, traits that make a successful PCV, etc. For being on our own for two years we sure are getting a TON of group work in now.




Anyway, I mentioned the highs and lows because today was a HIGH for sure. For the first time we broke into groups according to our projects and discussed a little more what we’ll be doing. Now I have a better answer to the question that was posed to me so much before I left. It’s pretty much as I thought: business here encompasses EVERYTHING. They put lists on the wall with different subjects and two columns: Can Teach or Want to Learn. The things ranged from small business planning to accounting; animal husbandry to customer service. On the list that said Fundraising/Grant Writing only myself and one other girl put our names on the “Can Teach” side. (Michelle, if you’re reading this…get ready to help me out! :) I also put Can Teach on marketing, sports n games and customer service. I put Want to Learn on just about everything: small business planning, agribusiness, web design and so much more…I can’t even remember. Oh yah, outdoors was a list. Like, camping, hiking, etc. Put my name on Want to Learn, even though I’ve done all that, I don’t know that I could teach per se. Anyway, it was amazing seeing in writing all the possibilities. They also explained to us what the next 3 months will look like. Besides learning a little bit about everything we get to take various “field trips”. In a couple weeks we’re going into Valle de Angeles to see how some of the small businesses operate there. Then we go to FBT in a different city altogether from where we’re training now. At some point during FBT we get to take a trip to camp on the beach and visit an island to learn a little about tourism and how it’s sustainable here. Then in the last week before we’re tested we do like a practicum or whatever and make a mock business and see how it goes. On May 10 we will find out our sites for the next two years. It’s so well planned out! Our two business (BZ) instructors told us there are 28 sites wanting volunteers in BZ but only 19 of us. However, that’s in our favor as aspirantes (Trainees) because we will better fit a site vs. 19 spots for 19 volunteers. Over the next 3 months our BZ instructors will get to know us better, our strengths, what we expect out of service, what type of work we would prefer to do, etc. Our first individual interviews with them is tomorrow. I’m SO STOKED! Or as my friend put it, I’m so juiced! LOL, we’re all on a HUGE high right now.



And on the “home” front, my host family is the most amazing (aside from my real family at home, of course)! My host mom has my bucket of water warmed for my “shower” in the mornings, breakfast ready when I get out and lunch as I head off to “school” (These things are all pretty sweet. I dunno if they’re meant to last or if I’m supposed to take over those tasks eventually...) Today when I got home, I was offered coffee, which I’m trying to decline more often, and sat down to watch a little ‘novela’ with the girls. When my “mom” got in from work she asked me to join her on a walk and we went to her mother’s house (which is like 5 houses down the street, around the corner). In typical Honduran style some other friends were over. One woman gave us all a banana that she had just bought at the market. I knew I had made it past the awkward “gringa en la casa” phase when my host mom was telling everyone she would cry when I left at the end of 3 months. Then we went to the little cafeteria and my ‘mom’ bought me a ‘churro’ (here in Honduras that means snack, not the Mexican dessert we’re used to). We walked home and I got to make my own dinner, as we discussed what few foods I actually know how to cook that would be feasible without an oven. (I came up with French toast, omelets and pasta. LOL, I know I got MAD cooking skills, don’t hate!) After dinner I played some “Tiene que pescar” (Go Fish), War and UNO with the younger daughter and un primo that was visiting from down the street. Then as I was in here sitting down to write this my ‘mom’ brought me in a cup of piping hot cinnamon tea and asked why I wasn’t cold with the windows wide open. The weather here is about late June in Modesto right now. Pretty hot, with perfect cool evenings. So, I tell her I’m perfect as I’m wearing shorts and a t-shirt and she says she’s cold. LOL, I’m scared to see what the summer is really like here!



Well crew, I want all you guys to know that I’m really happy right now. I’m on this high and I’m gonna ride it as long as I can. I know it’s gonna get hard one of these days, many of these days. Keep me in your prayers and I’ll keep you posted! :)



Hasta la proxima vez…

No comments:

Post a Comment